Network creation & governance
This research project was established with the support of the European Union.
Everywhere in Europe the road network is saturated. At the same time, transport possibilities on small waterways are underexploited or even in decline. Even worse: the number of independent inland waterway entrepreneurs goes down every year.
Watertruck+ aims to support the market with business cases for a large European fleet of vessels. The project consists of the following work packages:
- Market approach: development of business cases that engage shipping agents.
- Sign agreements with logistic operators – selection and development of business cases.
- Preparation of the operational program – development of planning models and monitoring tools, decisions on the necessary equipment (pushed barges, push tugs, pontoons), creation of a trading company (a Special Purpose Vehicle).
- Design of the vessel.
- Building of Watertruck+ push tugs and pushed barges.
- Testing of Watertruck+ in real circumstances.
- Development of the masterplan to move Watertruck+ to a larger scale.
- Communication and distribution.
- Project coordination.
Watertruck+ offers several advantages for different target groups: banks and financial decision makers, shippers and operators, bargemen, regional and national policymakers.
The results of this project are expected in 2020.
Register for our newsletter
Receive updates for the topic of your choice.