This program is taught in Dutch
About the program
This program is designed for leading and policy supporting government professionals. You acquire profound insights into the diverse aspects of government management, get to know the most recent research findings and are able to test these to the theory and experiences of others. Furthermore you will actively develop your leadership skills. You become a government official acting through knowledge, insights and creativity.
- a broad and thorough knowledge of the most recent management methods and techniques;
- recognize policy challenges independently and in group, analyze them, report on them verbally and in writing, and contribute significantly to their solution;
- develop solutions for public policy challenges, test these critically (on an ethical, societal and legal level), argue them, and have them accepted;
- perform and excel in leadership and facilitating (staff) positions at the diverse levels of government.
The Master in Public Management has a modular structure and encompasses a total of 60 credits (30 credits a year). The modules consist of thematically clustered lectures and seminars, in which advanced scientific knowledge is tested in actual assignments and government challenges. The topicality of every module is carefully monitored. Furthermore, there is a focus on practical leadership skills in the skills lab. Finally, you will write a master thesis on a subject of your choice as a conclusion to your study.
NEW MAJOR FROM SEPTEMBER 2017:
Master in Public FinanceMore info
Curriculum academic year 2017-2018
- Financial management
- Process and project management
- Innovation and change management
- Skill lab: leadership & coaching
- Elective, choose 1:
- Communication management
- IT administration
- Network organizations
- International summer school public management
Curriculum academic year 2018-2019
- Politics, policy & organization
- Administrative Law
- Multi-level governance
- General and Strategic management
- Result measuring systems
The master’s thesis is the course conclusion and can be a project out of your own work environment, the theme can be entirely self-determined. During the two academic years you will be working on it under guidance of a promotor.
Master in Public Management is a master-after-master program recognized by the government. Upon successful completion of the Master Projects and the exams you will be awarded the degree “Master in Public Management”. The program is NVAO accredited.
For public professionals with a master’s degree
Profile of past editions
- Male: 64%
- Female: 36%
- Average age: 41
- Belgian: 94%
- Dutch: 6%