Creating smart ecosystems
Waterways and waterfronts (ww&wfs) are vital for the NSR’s economy, ecology and quality of life. This multiple interest leads to issues like conflicting use, accidents and pollution. Such issues increasingly occur in shared ww&wfs of the NSR. This is caused by growing pressures exerted by urban development, commercial, recreational and other activities.
Traditionally, responsible authorities apply a static approach to respond to such issues and pressures. This worked and still works well for their typical tasks, like water management. However, they experience that it is unfit to rapidly respond in a fast-changing environment. To address this common challenge, some authorities are exploring new, innovative methods of working and introducing digital/smart solutions. Yet, they do so separately and only in larger cities, less so in rural areas. There is a huge opportunity to share knowledge and experiences between countries and between urban and rural areas.
Host partners, conducting pilots
- Rijkswaterstaat (NL), pilot area Amsterdam IJ
- Gemeente Nijmegen (NL), pilot area (Spiegel)waal
- Vlaamse Milieumaatschappij (BE), pilot area Kleine Nete
- PORTS DE LILLE (FR), pilot area Lille Ports
- Vordingborg Kommune (DK), pilot area Masnedø Island
- Hamburg Port Authority (HPA) Anstalt öffentlichen Rechts (DE), pilot area homePORT Hamburg
Approach Partners, providing methodologies
Solution partners, providing concrete solutions and technologies
Register for our newsletter
Receive updates for the topic of your choice.